Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Year - 8736 hours - What will we do with them?

8736 hours - it's intriguing to think about what we might do with that much time.  One of my pet peeves is hearing people say, "I don't have time.".  We all have the same amount of time - the same number of hours in each day.  We each choose how we spend our time.  I really do feel that time is a gift we need to use wisely.  Sometimes I'm guilty of having so many things I want to do with my time that I have a hard time choosing.

What are your priorities?  What will you do that will have the most positive impact?  Which will I choose to do that will be most pleasing to God?

Do you know people who don't seem to do anything with their time?  I think they must be very unhappy.

How do we look at our accomplishments?  Our choices?  The results of how we spend our time?

In the past couple of days I have spent time with our three grandsons.  I love them and I truly enjoy spending time with them.  Being a grandparent is an awesome responsibility and an opportunity to influence lives and make memories.  When I'm with them I don't accomplish much else except being with them - and that's the way I think it should be.  I'm guilty of "multi-tasking" many times.  When we multi-task, we're not giving our full attention and our best efforts to anything.  Do you know what it feels like to have someone really focus on you?  Really listen to you?  Care about what you're saying?  It feels good!  I have spent most of my life thinking that the more things I do, the more I accomplish each day, the better person I am.  I still struggle with wanting to do too many things...good things.  My sense of self worth is too dependent on what I can do.  I need to understand that God is where my real self worth comes from - and relax in that.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment