Monday, January 31, 2011

I Am a Parrothead

I am many things.  Some I'm proud of, some not so much.  One thing I am and have been for a very long time is a Parrothead!  For those of you who have not been enlightened - that means I love Jimmy Buffett - all things Jimmy Buffett  - all things Margaritaville.  Being a Parrothead is so much more than being a fan of Jimmy Buffett.

If I could just listen to one person's music, I admit it would be Jimmy.  I know I should say one of the wonderful Christian music singers - and I do love a lot of them - and I listen to them.  But Jimmy is the one who speaks to my heart and soul.  He understands me - he sings directly to me.  I know, I know.  Sometimes he is not very nice - sometimes he uses language I don't think he should.  But that smile!  It gets to me every time.  He is HAPPY - he is contagiously happy.

A good friend was going through a really difficult time in her life a few years ago.  We were riding in the car and she was so down - just couldn't see beyond her present situation to a better time.  She was almost in tears.  I just hit the play button and there was Jimmy.  I won't tell you what the song was... she looked at me and said, "Did he really say that?".  Yeah, he really did.  There were tears alright - she laughed until she cried.  That's just the way Jimmy is.

I've been to some of his concerts.  Hard to describe what that was like.  He doesn't just perform...he brings the crowd to life.  Parrotheads are a wild and crazy bunch of people.  All ages, all types.  Only one thing in common - Jimmy.  My younger son is a Parakeet (that's a younger Parrothead).   I'm hoping to make Parakeets out of my grandsons.

He has done it his way.  For 40 years, he has done his music his way - and continues to do it. It is more than his music - he takes me away - not sure where - but it's a really nice trip every time.

Jimmy fell off the stage last week during a concert in Australia!  No, I don't think he had too many Margaritas - I think it was just an unfortunate accident.  I understand he had a head injury, but is out of the hospital and doing well now.  Sure hope the head injury doesn't change him.  I may not agree with a lot of things about him - but I do think more of us should be willing to "do it our way" - whatever that way is.

Listen to some of Jimmy's music - it just might make you happy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment