Monday, May 11, 2009

Remembering Vietnam...


I never know what triggers the memories. Memories of my 20 year old husband leaving for Vietnam. Memories of him returning home wounded in his body and soul. Struggling to return to his life - our life. His nightmares. His injuries. His courage. He never complained, he just put his mind to living his life. He has never talked about Vietnam except a few times with others who were there. It is hard to believe how young we were and how hard it was. He is good and brave and strong. I think the hardest part for him was having so many friends who didn't come home. I think of them often - I can only imagine how often he thinks of them. I didn't know them, but they touched my life - they gave their lives for our freedom. I hope each of us will say "Thank you" to the next soldier we meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment